Owww Lord! That would be Owww LauraLord! I met this writer lady in the virtual world of blogging some months ago and I just love her wittiness. Crazy also because she’s the Only Woman in the World that dared to follow me in the self inflicted serious sh*t of “letter assignments” in the April’s A to Z challenge. You should really check out her blog History of a Woman.
She nominated me for a Liebster Award. I felt something like this:
(if I were a boy and if I had the teeth). Owww YES!!!
Basically, here’s how it works. The person who nominated me gets to ask me eleven questions. I post my responses, along with eleven questions of my own and then choose eleven nominees for the award. The nominees should have under 500 followers (OK, I cheated just a little bit here, don’t kill me), and you need to leave them a message/comment to know they’ve been nominated.
Here are the eleven questions Laura asked me + my replies:
1. What made you choose the title for your blog?
I mostly write about all kinds of stuff happening in my life on St. Eustatius, where I live since almost two years. It’s a tiny little island in the Caribbean (21km2) that’s part of the Dutch Kingdom and unknown to 99,99% of the world population. Because of the rich history in the 17th and 18th century, St. Eustatius (or Statia) is also called the Golden Rock. And that’s how “Life on the Golden Rock” was born.
2. What was your very first post about?
My first posted, last January, was The first salute was fired and it shows a YouTube movie titled “The other shot heard around the world” by Tigers Videos about Statia’s rich past. It’s really nicely done and especially the Americans will be surprised to hear what Statia means in the history of the independence of the US. “The first salute was fired to the American flag” also comes back in Statia’s anthem.
3. What do you think was the best post you ever wrote?
My best post I think was not one where I wrote a lot, it’s a photography post. I tried to copy the picture of the “invisible girl” that went around on Facebook for a while. This is the original one:
My daughter was trying to hold the mirror in the right position and look cute at the same time, I was crawling into impossible positions to stay out of the mirror, my dogs trying to ruin it all. The most beautiful picture:
and the funniest one:
For the whole post click here.
4. You’re at your computer (where ever you blog most from)… What is sitting close to hand?
Ha! Easy one. This:
Our dogs Onai, Rosa and Nelson.
5. Do you always order the same thing when you go out or do you like to try new foods?
I always like to try new things, not only in food. I especially love spicy things. How I wish I could have a Thai dish right now… The problem is, on Statia are not so many restaurants and the variety in food, either in restaurants or supermarkets, is not great. Let’s go to India.
6. What was the first blog you found online that you fell in “blog love” with?
HACKER. NINJA. HOOKER. SPY. The perfect mix of humor, 007, awkwardness, sex, real life drama and all you’re looking for in life. Furthermore: Rarasaur and of course Laura mentioned above.
7. What’s your most favorite piece of clothing you own?
Hm. Think. I guess that would be my pink St. Louis firefighters T-shirt, that I got as a gift from one kick-ass firefighter lady I met in Negril, Jamaica and later again in Curacao. It’s too short, it has holes and stains and I really can’t wear it anywhere outside my house without people giving me that look (What. Is she. Wearing?), but somehow it’s my favorite T-shirt and somehow it’s my life. So.
8. If you were trapped on an island and could only have one book with you, what book would you bring?
Something with dragons, quests, (rain)forests and a lot of adventure. Like ‘The Brothers Lionheart‘ by Astrid Lindgren. It’s a children’s novel. Maybe I’m childish, but hey. Kids have a greatly developed fantasy. If no children’s books are allowed on the island, it would be a work by Roald Dahl (children’s books for adults) or something with a lot of blood, murder and mystery (Stieg Larsson, Nicci French).
9. What’s something new you have learned recently?
Pff. A lot. I like to learn. I recently started a bachelor study (nature & environment) and just did my first exam for that. I downloaded a free try-out version of Photoshop, there is a lot to learn. I keep on learning about blogging since I started in January. I learn a lot in my current job as a policy adviser for the island government (something completely new for me). I also learn a lot there how things are not supposed to be going. I try to learn more about photography. Who I learn most from in my life though, is my daughter. I read somewhere that kids ask their mother around 200 questions a day. I don’t know the complete answer to many of them, but I try. Not only questions like “Why does that puppy have one brown eye and one blue eye?”, but I many times I also have to question myself. I love it, she keeps me sharp.
10. Who is your favorite author?
11. What’s the corniest joke you know?
Ay, I’m terrible in jokes. It is green and descends down the slope? … a skiwi…
Now, here are my eleven questions for my eleven nominees:
1. Why and when did you start blogging?
2. Do you write (for the writer-bloggers) or shoot (for the photographer-bloggers) for a living?
2. What is the weirdest comment you ever received on a post?
3. Which blogger is your greatest inspiration?
4. If you could start your life from scratch, what would you do?
5. What’s your favorite song for when you need energy?
6. Which place on earth is #1 on your bucket list and why?
7. What do you do when you have a writers block?
8. What scares you, a lot?
9. What’s your real age and what is your mental age?
10. What kind of people give you the creeps?
11. Tell me about something embarrassing that happened to you 😀
And here (pom pom pom poooooooom), my eleven nominees:
If you’d like to participate: Awesome! If not, no problem!
1. Being the memoirs of Helena Hann-Basquiat, dilettante
2. Uncle Spike
3. Running on Healthy
4. Cee’s Photography
5. The Indecisive Eejit
6. Writer B is me
7. De Wets Wild
8. Walking with the Alligators
10. Perpetual Plot Hole
11. Today, on earth